[Dixielandjazz] washboard position

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Wed Jan 7 11:21:18 PST 2004

I've got two "washboard" stories which have turned me off the instrument
(?) entirely.  (My apologies to you serious w players out there, but
life's experiences do affect one's opinions.)

A guy used to come in to our regular club occasionally with his
washboard.  However, he got to the point where he would do the following
during our break & before his sit in:

1.  place a chair in front of the band's position
2.  put the only mic on the stage in front of the chair
3.  readjust all of the floodlights to aim at the chair

Then, he would state the tune he wanted, and count the thing off at his
desired tempo!
That happened twice before we said "never more".

Another guy used to come in with all kinds of contraptions on his
washboard......but, this was in another place....a fancy, classy joint
where we were playing "soft Dixie", if you like.

He came in twice with all his horns, bells, cymbals, chains, you got it,
hanging from the washboard.  Twice I told him "no".  The second time he
got quite nasty.  Soon after, I heard that he had died.  My comment,
which was taken by some others in the band as lacking in feeling, was
"well, he won't pester us any more with that contraption"!    :>

p.s.  I'm not really terribly serious about all this, before all you
washboard guys start filing your nails down to razor sharp points.  I
just think the two occasions express the lack of etiquette some people
have in asking to sit in......no matter WHAT the instrument isl

Jim