[Dixielandjazz] Ken Burns Jazz Book & Turk Murphy

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 6 15:22:32 PST 2004

Steve (c: DJML)--
    I disagree completely with what you say below about the Watters/Murphy style being a 'rehashment' of older styles.  Watters and Murphy expanded the style and brought new life and new ideas to it, and similar bands up to the present continue to do so.  Condon's style TO ME is really the old-fashioned and unimportant one (but i like it, just not as much).
    Of course, it has never mattered what i think, nor what you think, nor what any of us think.  What matters is what the audience likes, and from what i've seen and heard at festivals (on the left coast, to be sure) audiences of all ages love the West Coast style.

    Dan