[Dixielandjazz] AOL threats

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Tue Jan 6 05:07:06 PST 2004

My goodness, I am so pleased that I am not with AOL. I have just visited a
website containing some pretty dire music files, the owner of the site (who
appears to be just an ordinary Joe who likes to tinkle around on the piano
for his own pleasure) has posted a notice to say that he will not be
uploading any more music because of this message which he received from AOL
:

"Dear Sir or Madam: I am writing on behalf of America Online, Inc. We
received a complaint from the International Federation of the Phonographic
Industry that you have made one or more copyrighted sound recordings
available for download from your AOL hosted website(s) without the
permission of the copyright owners. In accordance with the requirements of
the Digital Millennium Copyright Act we have blocked access to the
referenced website(s). If you have a good faith belief that you have the
legal right to post the material identified above, then you may provide us
with a counter notification which we will provide to the party who brought
the complaint. There are specific items that must be included in the counter
notification, so if you'd like to do this, let us know and we'll send you
the details. If you are willing to remove the materials identified above, we
will remove the block for 2 business days to allow you to do this. After 2
business days, if the materials have not been removed, your website(s) will
be blocked again and further action may be taken. The materials must be
removed from both the website(s) and the FTP site(s). Thank you for your
cooperation. Sincerely,"

John Farrell