[Dixielandjazz] Turk Murphy band horn-placement

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 5 21:44:20 PST 2004

DJMLers--
     In respect to the placement of the horns in Turk Murphy's band
(behind the drums), he may have liked and copied the way Lu Watters
did it.  In _Emperor Norton's Hunch_, John Buchanan says:

         "Unlike Oliver's band, however, the Yerba Buena band made greater
     use of the fortissimo attack."  "...the power they generated was
     overwhelming.  Many experienced jazz enthusiasts were of the opinion
     that Watters played the loudest cornet or trumpet they had ever heard
     and perhaps the loudest of all time." (p. 74)
         "The way in which Lu set the band up on the bandstand was also a
     little unorthodox.  In the front row the banjos were placed on the
     left, drums in the centre and the piano on the right.  In the back
     row, one step higher, from left to right we the trombone, then the
     two trumpets, the clarinet and the tuba to the right behind the piano.
     After trying many arrangements, Watters found that having the trumpets,
     clarinet and trombone standing behind the rhythm section enabled the
     musicians to hear one another better and at the same time allowed
     the audience a good view of each man." (p. 76)

I never had the privilege of seeing either Watters' or Murphy's band
live, so i can't comment on this arrangement or if Turk kept using it
in his band.

     Dan

--
**  Dan Augustine    Austin, Texas   ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu     **
**       "Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through          **