[Dixielandjazz] Re: Raggio

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 19:49:47 PST 2004

Larry Wright on Bob Raggio

<< In the mid-1970's Bob Raggio went in for some surgery to his thumb.  For
some reason he asked me to replace him temporarily at Disneyland.  I
played in the Banjo Kings/Class of 1927 band with John Reynolds, Westy,
Jerry Holton (banjo), and led by Sonny Helmer on trombone.  This allowed
me to be in the right place at the right time to put my version of the
Banjo Kings in while Sonny's band played in the Golden Horseshoe during
the summers.  My band included banjoists Lance McClean, Howard Alden, and
Jimmy Piehl, and Paul Woltz on bass sax.  Leading that band made possible
my collecting of antique cars, then nickelodeons, then the high-tech
invention, where my money was ultimately spent.  So Mr. Raggio was
responsible for much of the direction my life headed.

Woltz, Dan Barrett, myself, and others spent many hours listening to Bob
with the South Frisco at their weekend Pizza Palace gig in Huntington
Beach in the late 60s and early 70s.  It amazed us all that he was so
meticulous at exactly which device on the washboard to play at whatever
time.  It was as though it meant all the world that a particular cowbell
clunk or woodblock pop happen precisely.  He was simply fascinating to
watch.  And of course, fun to be with.

LW >>