[Dixielandjazz] Learning to improvize

Bill Biffle bbiffle at swcp.com
Sun Jan 4 11:15:57 PST 2004

Hello, Berl!

Our paths are parallel.  I quit the horn after college.   I started again 5
0r 6 years ago.  I'll be 60 this month.  I front a DL band
(www.billbiffle.com/DCJB).  I'm trying to learn to improvise - and to play -
better.

My advice:
* Play mostly melody - let the more experienced players do most of the
soloing.  They're better at it and your audience wants to hear the song.
* Practice every day - get Jamey Aebersold CDs and other improvisational
aids - do a Google search.
* Play with players better than you are - they'll teach you just by doing
what they do.  (Lucky for me, this is an easy thing to do - they're ALL
better than me!)
* Learn the chord progressions for all the DL standards - hopefully these
are the songs your band plays - cold.  You'll find patterns that repeat.
* There are some important things to keep running in your head while you
improvise (some or all of these will work most of the time):
    - keep the chord name that's in the harmony in your head (along with the
chord tones and resultant scale),
    -listen to the chord that the rhythm is playing,
    -hear the melody in your head
The last of these is most important.  Never lose track of the melody.  If
you do, you'll get lost.  When it does happen, stop playing for a few beats
and listen to the chords in the piano/banjo/bass.  You'll usually hear where
you are then.
*  Don't play many notes.  Let there be silences in the line as well.  "Make
a statement.  Give your listeners time to reflect on what you've said.  Make
another statement."  Try to play elegant lines, not complicated ones.
* Listen every day - for as much time as possible - to DL bands.  Buy
hundreds of CDs.  Spend time - lots of time - with the masters (many of whom
are on this list).
* Don't get discouraged.  When you do get discouraged, remember that
everyone had to learn how to do this.
*Have fun!  Always remember, if it ain't fun, don't do it!  Music is a
blessing.  Dixieland music is the happiest blessing of all.  Revel in the
chance life has given you to participate in it.  Never take it for granted.
*Don't use CAPS when you email.  They connote anger.

Best of luck.  Stay in touch.  I'm learning a little bit every day.  Some
days the progress is very effectively disguised, but I believe it's always
there.

Bill Biffle
Leader and Trumpet
Duke City Jazz Band