[Dixielandjazz] Scott's Place

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Sat Jan 3 09:11:13 PST 2004

I remember the radio show, Scott's Place.  We used to be able to hear the
station, KFI out of LA, at night up here in the Sacramento area.

It was when I used to work 6 & 7 nights a week in nightclubs.  We used to
listen to the show on the way home after the gigs.

One night I heard Johnny Guarnieri being interviewed.  At that time I did
the bookings for the monthly Jazz Sundays of the Sacramento Traditional Jazz
Society.

I got home, waited for a news break & then called the station.  I asked to
speak to Johnny.  I told him about our Jazz Society & asked if he would like
to be a guest star for one of our meetings.

Johnny said, "Why not?"  That started a long-time friendship between he & I
which lasted until he passing.

He was a great guy & an even greater piano player.

His playing of the Maple Leaf Rag and the Tiger Rag in 5/4 time, at a break
neck tempo was unbelievable.

He also could play ballads with one hand & you'd swear that he was using 3.

Johnny even composed a song for me, "Raggedy Bob."

The person who has air checks of those shows, "Scott's Place" really has a
treasure.  I hope they will be preserved.

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA, USA, Earth, Sol's System, Milky Way
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV
Fulton Street Jazz Band
See: http://www.ringwald.com
Boondockers Jazz & Comedy Band