[Dixielandjazz] Jelly Roll LoC narrative completion

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jan 3 10:25:00 PST 2004

Dear List,
  Mike Meddings and his co-workers are to be commended for this mammoth
contribution.
The interviews with Jelly Roll Morton recorded by Alan Lomax for the
Library of Congress in 1938 have as far as I can discover  never been
presented fully in written form before. Some material was initially put
out on 78 inch recordings in the 1940's and later transferred to LP and
in the 1950's we had Lomax's book that included some transcriptions.
More recently some musical excerpts have been released on Rounder CD.
If you have ever tried to transcribe the text from any of the recorded
interviews you will realize the magnitude of what Mike's team undertook
to do. This is a great contribution that should not go unnoticed. Top
marks Mike.
regards
Dan Hardie