[Dixielandjazz] Lead and Chords Needed - ROW, ROW, ROW

PBurke113 at aol.com PBurke113 at aol.com
Sat Feb 28 16:37:36 PST 2004

BudTuba,
I found your thread looking for the lyrics for RowRowRow from last summer.
Hope you found them in time.

Because I have an Ada Jones CD version of the song, I was searching for
different versions of the lyrics today and found that when I searched "Row Row Row"
by itself I got the lead-in that became the children's song "Row Row Row Your
Boat" and discovered that the best search was "Then He'd Row Row Row". They
even had some midi instrumental playbacks (piano). I also discovered back when
I first heard the song (by Jones) that the "row, row, row" was a lot slower
than what it became in later years (thanks to Eddie Cantor et al)....which made
sense when you think the timing of someone rowing. Slower makes it almost
sensuous. In addition, I noticed that all the illustration I find for the song
seem to ignore the lyrics, "he'd jump in his boat and they would spoon". They all
show her sitting in the stern seat opposite him. I imagine that such a scene
of him rowing and her sitting in his lap would have been a bit risque for the
time. And it really was quite a risque song if you listen to it, what with all
that spooning and landing among grand trees, and "he knew just how to row, he
was a rowing Romeo" and all. Or maybe people have forgotten what spooning
was.

Just wanted to say all this and your thread jumped up and gave me a place to
say it. I absolutely love the song like I absolutely love early 20th century
popular music. My hundred or so 1899-1940 CD collection attests to that. I
almost committed to buying a gramophone, but upon studying it a bit more found out
that a)most was cylinder recorded and are generally pretty worn by now, and
b)it's the music I love, not especially the medium.

Patrick Burke

Pat Burke's oft updated photo gallery, updated to 2-22-04