[Dixielandjazz] Re: Orpheon Celesta

Alberto Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Fri Feb 27 19:33:33 PST 2004

Dave and all:

ORPHEON CELESTE means CHOIR OF ANGELS.   No doubt about that.
But the name of the band is ORPHEON CELESTA (with an A).
I knew them personally at the Breda Jazz Festival in Holl.....  Oops...
The Nederlands, in 1989.

And Celeste is a piano-like musical instrument with sounds as ringing
glasses.  Refer to the extraordinary Edmond Hall Celestial Quartet, with
Ch. Christian guitar and Meade Lux Lewis celeste, I. Crosby bass.

Tito
=====================================
Dave Richoux commented:
<<<<<I have a copy of an early Stomp-Off LP album by Orpheon Celeste -
"La
GAre de Lyon" (recorded in a Paris train station) and I really like it,
but there seems to be not much else available. I found a reference a
while back to a "Best of OrpHeon Celeste" CD but I was not able to make
an order from the website. Do any of you purveyors of music on the list
have anything in your catalogues from this group?

BTW, I think the name of that group comes from church organ stops (but
I could be wrong):
ORPHEON (Atrium: Choir Forte Left) A free-reed of slightly stringy,
oboe-like quality.
CELESTE VIOL (Aerial: Aire) A sweet-toned viol.
CELESTINA (Celestial: Astral) A wood flute of open construction, narrow
scale and a gentle, pure, luminous tone.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.