Re: [Dixielandjazz] French band name puns : 'bag of fleas' / Sac à pulses, Jazzogènes]

Michel Miconnet michelmiconnet.djml at free.fr
Fri Feb 27 06:40:20 PST 2004

david richoux wrote :
> There is another French OKOM band who have a "punny" name - the hint is
> a "bag of fleas..."
> (have not seen much from them on list in a while - are they still active?)

Yes, indeed. It's "Sac à pulses" but the pun is only significant
in French, contrary to "Hot Antic" (authentique/authentic).

Look at : http://www.sacapulses.com for explications.

I think to another French band whose name is a also pun in
French: "Les Jazzogènes". This name sounds like "gazogène -> gas
generator". (Not OKOM, but historical point : this kind of
device allowed to produce gas with wood. It was installed on
cars during the last mondial war when France was occupied by the
nazis (with 'n' and not 'N') to replace the gasoline).

Thus, "jazzogenes" sound like "explosive"...

"Les Jazzogènes" is a dynamic OKOM band from the area of
Burgundy. His style is that of years 25-30, inspired by another
French band: "Sharkey and Co" (also Charquet) (Jean-Pierre
Morel). He often feature a wonderful, explosive, saxophonist and
'scatter': Daniel Huck.

(For those which read French :
http://membres.lycos.fr/jazzogenes/
and for .mp3 soundfiles :
http://membres.lycos.fr/jazzogenes/page6.html)

Have a nice day !

--
Mic (mikosax) - From chilly Burgundy (France)