[Dixielandjazz] "Maggie" was Irish Dixieland Tunes

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Thu Feb 26 14:43:46 PST 2004

'When You & I Were Young Maggie' is very much Canadian.   The words came
from a poem written by George Johnson from Binbrook, near Hamilton ,Ontario.
It was about his wife who had died within a year of their marriage in 1864.
The words were set to music by a young Englishman, James Butterfield in
1866.  The old mill referred to in the lyric/poem still stands at Albion
Falls, near Hamilton.

I know all this 'cause we recorded the song  back in 1990!   I shall play it
this week at my club session.

Cheers,
Brian Towers,
Hot Five Jazzmakers,