[Dixielandjazz] Irish Dixieland Tunes

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 26 14:05:23 PST 2004

Ha, Ha, But then perhaps Maggie Clark, the subject of the song, was an Irish
Canadian? After all, "Canadians" are typical "North Americans". A
homogeneous mixture of all races, just like those of us in the USA. Many
Clark's in North America are of Irish, or Scotch/Irish descent. The only
originals in North America are the native Indians. ;-) VBG

I also said in that post that there were tunes like "Sister Kate" (written
by an African American, no less) "that can be sold as Irish American"
"Maggie" fits well within that category as does "Peg O My Heart", whether
either, or neither are Irish. No? ;-)

And, the audience that Kurt is playing for will be like Maggie, or Peg,
Irish Americans who will relate to both tunes.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone