[Dixielandjazz] Valaida/Hines

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Mon Feb 23 22:10:45 PST 2004

Because of the confusing back- and forth- flashing, I didn't think that anything about Earl Hines would be under the heading California and New York City 1942 (there are dozens of these geographical-time headings!). Stupidly, I didn't read the blurb first, which mentions "Earl" and "Louis Armstrong", no doubt a cunning hint that the book is about real jazz. Anyway, this made me surf a bit closer and, lo and behold, on page 471 of this 504 page book, there is a chronoligically misplaced discussion of the Hines -Valaida affair. This does not mean that I am going to read the whole book for more jazz!
Fred