[Dixielandjazz] Odd tunes, Copyright vs. ASCAP and Pseudonyms

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Feb 21 13:11:38 PST 2004

In a message dated 2/20/04 10:08:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
civanj at adelphia.net writes:

> Combining all the above previous discourses. in my quest for
> odd ball tunes or at least quirky titles, I ran across the following in
> the Chas. Anderson Fake book.
>
> "She Had To Go and Lose It At The Astor"
>
> This tune (from 1939) is attributed to
> John Doe and Joe Doaques (ASCAP)
> -  pronounce the last name carefully.
>
> Now who were these writers??
> This is not a quiz. I don't know the answer.
>
> Craig

That one is obvious Craig:

John Doe is the unknown author for any song that ASCAP wants to claim
collection rights to, since nobody knows who he/she is there is less likely any
chance that they will ever have to pay and royalties for the songs at all.

The last time I saw John Doe he was lying on a morgue slab in the Chicago
Police Department, and I am certain now that he is the guy who wrote this song,
so maybe I( could file for all those back royalties as his next of kin. :)  It
had his name clearly attached to a tag on his toe:  John Doe aka Juan Doe, he
was a hispanic guy.  Second cousin to the famous New Orleans singer songwriter
 Ernie K. Doe, who wrote the all time classic "Mother in Law" song.

I saw his sister Jane/Doe on the next slab as well so I must be the sole
surviving heir to that fortune in royalties.

Now Joe Doaques is the name on the bank account where they have been sending
all of John Doe's royalties to all these years.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins