[Dixielandjazz] Odd tunes, Copyright vs. ASCAP and Pseudonyms

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 21 11:27:14 PST 2004

Hi everybody: Craig wrote:

.... in my quest for oddball tunes or at least quirky titles, I ran across
the following in
>the Chas. Anderson Fake book.
>
>"She Had To Go and Lose It At The Astor"
>
>This tune (from 1939) is attributed to
>John Doe and Joe Doaques (ASCAP)
>-  pronounce the last name carefully.
>
>Now who were these writers??
>This is not a quiz. I don't know the answer.

- well, neither do I, but how about that wonderful tune "I've gone and lost
my little yo-yo", recorded in 1932 by several bands. Sample lyric -

I had it when i left the house at half past nine
I had it in my hand all right:
I showed it to a woman at the bus stop then
And it filled her with delight;
The wife will want to play with it when I get home
But can I find it? No, no -
She'll take the only course, and sue for a divorce
When she finds I've gone and lost my little yo-yo!

All this several decades before Chuck Berry and his ding-a-ling....

And two more great titles to ponder: Bob Helm's "How'm I Gonna Do It If I
Don't Know What You Crave?" and a 20's hit called "I've Got A Feeling For
Ophelia"

Cheers!

Mike.