[Dixielandjazz] Need Help finding song

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Fri Feb 20 17:10:38 PST 2004

Dear friend John:
As a Michigander, I can say that we indeed grow lots of cider apples -- but
for most of the state, we grow more green tomatoes that fat red ones. Too
short a growing season up my way. We are having the first week of a touch of
a February thaw -- got up to 40 F. , but it ain't over yet! We averaged
about 6-8 degrees lower in all of January than normal -- and normal -
believe it -- is pretty damn cold in No. Michigan. A couple years ago we had
one day when the Fahrenheit and Celsuis scale agreed.
Minus 40 degrees below freezing. Our wrost here this year -- so far -- was
an overnight of minus 27 F. -- you do the conversion...we don't do
metrics..so far!
However, since this is a jazz forum, there are some jazz content tunes with
Michigan names -- try Michigan Waters Blues.
For big band, try (I've got a gal in) Kalamazoo.
And for trad jazz, though a flimsey connect, try Wolverine Blues (the last
wolverine who lived in Michigan did so in the ice age 12, 000 years ago --
and forget those nick-named Univ. of Michigan types. They really think
they're from the Ivy League and consider themselves Michi-GAWN-nians. That's
like someone at high tea sipping from the cup with their little pinkie
finger stuck out. Up here where the Michiganders live, any one who stuck out
their little pinkie finger at a high beer call would find some Jack Pine
Savage hanging a pretzal on it..
How's them tomatoes, Jack?
Don Ingle