[Dixielandjazz] Dance tempo

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Wed Feb 18 09:49:28 PST 2004

As a drummer and bandleader, I have found the following tempo guidelines
work well for dancers.  Play them to fast or too slow and, believe me, you
will hear about it.

Quickstep = 200-208 beats per minute

Waltz = 84-90 beats per minute

Tango = 128-132 beats per minute

Foxtrot = 112-120 beats per minute

Cha Cha = 128-128 beats per minute

Jive = 176-176 beats per minute

East Coast Swing = 136-144 beats per minute

I hope this helps.

Kurt