[Dixielandjazz] Real Skin Drum Heads

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Tue Feb 17 21:16:22 PST 2004

This is for the drummers on DJML.

A fellow drummer, whom I respect, just recommended Earthtone Drumheads to
me.  They are reasonably priced real skin (I believe they are goat) heads
(not plastic).  He says they are great sounding for traditional jazz
playing.

I ordered a snare batter head, which should arrive in about a week.  If I
like it, I'll outfit my entire kit with them.  Apparently they have a great
warm tone and are easily tuned.

Here is some copy from the Earthtone website: "While other companies attempt
to simulate the wonderful sound of real skin drumheads, Earthtone Drumheads
are genuine skin.

Unlike traditional skinheads, Earthtone Drumheads undergo a high-tech
process for outstanding durability. These drumheads are pre-stretched,
pre-mounted, and ready to play!  There is no comparison to the warm round
tones which are highly recommended for traditional jazz, R&B, and classic
rock drumsets as well as for concert snare drums, bass drums, and toms. With
a textured surface great for sticks, mallets, or brushes, Earthtone
Drumheads will improve the sound of any drumset."

Earthtone Drumheads can be found at
http://www.earthtoneheads.com/default.asp

Kurt Bowermaster