[Dixielandjazz] Mais Que Nada - Tito Puente/Sergio Mendez

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 17 17:12:03 PST 2004

Below is the "Google" English Translation of the lyrics Sergio Mendez,
Brazil 66 used. Not quite accurate I think. "More Than Anything" seems
to make more sense. To hear the song, and see the original Lyrics, go
to: http://www.musicasmaq.com.br/masqnada.htm

Yes, I was lucky enough to listen live to Puente Sr., (and now Puente
Jr.,), Prado, Machito, Bauza and all those wonderful Latin Dance and
Latin Jazz Musicians in NYC in the 1940s - 50s and 60s. As well as
listen live to Dizzy Gillespie and his Afro Cuban experiments in Jazz.
It was all a part of a mind blowing experience in Jazz and its many
forms, in the world capital of jazz. Nothing but luck to have been
around it when it was ALL happening. Listened to it LIVE from countless
Dixieland players including Bunk, Bechet and Armstrong to Basie to
Ellington to Bird to Puente to Gillespie to Monk to Miles to Coltrane et
al. There is nothing like being there when it happened, and no way to
adequately explain what it was like to those who were not there.

The records are OK, but nowhere near what it was really like up, close
and personal. The energy, the excitement. Raw and visceral. Very very
different from the sedate Jazz scene today in the USA.

Cheers,
Steve (lucky sperm club) Barbone

More than Nothing.  ( SERGIO MENDES ).

The aio aria, opa, opa, opa,
The aio aria OOOO, opa, opa, opa,

More than nothing,
It leaves my front that I want to pass
Therefore the livened up samba this
E what I want is samba.
this samba that is the mixture of maracatu,
Samba of old black color, samba of black color du.
More than nothing,
A samba as this so legal,
You do not go to want that I arrive in the end.