[Dixielandjazz] keeping track on measures in a song /A differentco

Paul Reid whadayesay at webtv.net
Sat Feb 14 13:08:30 PST 2004

Bill Biffle wrote;

<<Isn't "In The Wee Small Hours" like this? No bridge, two 16 bar
phrases just alike except for the last measure or so?

Bill Biffle>>

    Well, sort of, but a little different format. "I Wished On Yhe Moon"
is without a bridge, but with a 4 bar turnaround at the end of the first
16. and a resolved 4 bars on the end of the second 16.

     ".....Wee Small Hours" is broken down into four, 4 measure sections
totaling to a 16 measure chorus. One could consider the second set of 4
bars as a turnaround, and the 4th set as the resolve. Not really a
bridge on section 2.. Close, but closer to a cigar butt.

       Which brings up another song with this format; "Anytime,
Anyplace, Anywhere".

Nice to know that jazz is alive and kicking in Albuquerque. I KNEW there
was a good reason to return there. Nice area. Have a good Sunday
session.

Uncle Paul
PS; Yes, Mike, it is a small world. I wasn't even aware that Jeff knew I
Wished On The Moon, when I caled it. A great tune worth repeating.
(correctly) Has a nice verse too, with a wonderful lyric. Dorthy Parker
is a pleasant surprise.
     Jeff  a monster of a player and fun to play duets with. It's a kick
when you get musicians like Jeff, I, and Randy Morris together on
pianos. Randy is also very talented on other instruments. While I'm
dishing out compliments, let's not forget Valentine boquet's to Jeffs'
wife Ann, who play's wonderful music on her flute.

U.P.
           Original messages