[Dixielandjazz] Mardi Gras season

acjspres at aol.com acjspres at aol.com
Fri Feb 13 13:43:16 PST 2004

This is usually one of our best months of the year for gigs. We have 19 gigs
booked this month so far......9 are with a full dixieland line-up and the
others are with my quartet. The good news is we have 21 booked for the month of
March. This year is certainly better than last year or the year before.

The key to our bookings I believe is that people can come hear us at the
JetLag restaurant in Scottsdale where we play every Tuesday night and then decide
whether or not to book us. I refuse to play some dates (weddings are a great
example....as are dances for the ballroom dancers) unless they come check us
out first and are convinced what we do is what they want.

I have the luxury, as does Barbone, of working with some excellent players
which makes the gigs a joy. A good example is Garry Schauer who plays trumpet
with us since our regular cornet player (Gary Church) is on the road with Mel
Tillis. To give you an idea, here is Garry Schauer's bio:

Garry performed with the bands of: Woody Herman, Les & Larry Elgart, Claude
Thornhill , Tommy Dorsey, Billy May, Sammy Kaye, Guy Lombardo, Igor Jazz
Cowboys, Bill Allred Jazz Band and the Chicago Six. He was a member of the Nevada
Symphony, Nevada Brass Quintet and performed with New York Opera Co.and Moscow
Philharmonic. In addition he played in Las Vegas at Caesars Palace for such
greats as Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, Tony Bennett., Sammy Davis jr., Nancy
Wilson, Steve & Edie, etc. He also performed on the "Tonight Show" with
Johnnie and has the video to prove it. Garry graduated from the Manhattan School of
Music in NYC with a Masters Degree in Music. He taught the trumpet and Jazz
Improv at Scottsdale College. He has played in Jazz Festivals all over the
world.

Garry will be embarrassed when he learns that I published this, but I feel
privileged to be able to work with him.

I hope the music business is improving for you all.

Joe Hopkins
Jazz Clarinet
AZ Classic Jazz Society...V.P. and 2004 Festival Co-Director
480-396-6798 or 602-810-5888