[Dixielandjazz] ASCAP / BMI - The right to play music.

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Feb 12 23:09:51 PST 2004

In a message dated 2/12/04 4:14:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> For a good explanation of the way it is in the USA, see the below web
> site.
>
> http://www.woodpecker.com/writing/essays/royalty-politics.html

Well, I am no professional barrister, unless Jailhouse lawyer qualifies me
but I checked out the above website and read the entire article and find
absolutely no fault with any of it, and it clearly states the situation as I have
learned it over the past 40 years working in all aspects of this business.

My honest recommendation to any and all musicians on this list, unless you
are Kenny G, or his caliber of income producing player, is to ignore ASCAP and
BMI and SESAC at every opportunity.  Should you ever have the misfortune of
having them drop in on you and threaten to sue you, just tell them to go ahead
and then tell them you are a musician earning the normal musician wages and even
they are not foolish enough to think you have deep enough pockets to extract
more than a pittance of beer money from.  Tell them you play Dixieland and
they will probably ask you where your tip jar is on the way out the door.

Don't forget to tell them to not let the door hit them in the ass on their
way out, and ask them if they at least bought a drink in the establishment to
support the payment of their license fee they collect from the place. :)

I hold them in about as much esteem and awe as I do the IRS, and there really
is not a lot of difference in the two organizations.  AVOID THEM BOTH AT
EVERY OPPORTUNITY!
They are a colossal waste of time and energy and do not even understand their
own workings, but are very adept at intimidation if you allow it.  I choose
not to be intimidated.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins