[Dixielandjazz] First CD and other trivia

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Tue Feb 10 23:39:16 PST 2004

Not OKOM, but I thought this was interesting trivia...

The first CD pressed in the US - for commercial release - was Bruce
Springsteen's 'Born in the USA'.

The Looney Tunes song is actually called "The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down."

The Jazz Singer, 1927, was the first movie with audible dialogue.

The 1st time the "f-word" was spoken in a movie was by Marianne Faithful in
the 1968 film, "I'll Never Forget Whatshisname." In Brian De Palma's 1984
movie, "Scarface," the word is spoken 206 times - an average of once every
29 seconds.

The Mills Brothers have recorded the most songs of any artist: about 2,250.

The official state song of Georgia since 1922 has been "Georgia on My Mind".

The song "Happy Birthday to You" was originally written by sisters Mildred
and Patty Hill as "Good Morning to You." The words were changed and it was
published in 1935.

The term karaoke means "empty orchestra" in Japanese, and the karaoke
machine was designed originally to provide backing tracks for solo cabaret
performers.

Time magazine's "Man of the Year" for 1938 was Adolph Hitler.

The song "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" was written by George Graff, who was
German, and was never in Ireland in his life.