[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland in a new context

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue Feb 10 09:39:22 PST 2004

Here's a clip from an American in a touring circus in Italy.

"We're a group of international circus and jazz performersin.  We have a
real hi energy circus show in which the music plays a big part. we are all
performers and musicians so our show consists of us playing  dixieland and
one by one we all set our instruments down and do our act, an old formula
that works great for us.

when we really get rockin its always the dixieland songs that get people
dancing and then we feed off that energy and the clowns go nuts.  we are
mostly 20 something in age so we come from a punk background. I'm from new
orleans so i've heard jazz my whole life and got into rock and punk because
its what the kids are into, but ive always had dixieland flowing thru me.

now i use the energy of rock with the beautiful strains of dixieland  and
the kids think its some new form of music or at least old music with a new
flare wich is what it really is!  thats how it drives the clowns crazy

 they rarely hear dixieland over here especially the kids so we're
spreading the word! in new orleans dixie land is for an older audience and
the kids want rap and hip hop so i'd say im in a real good place! when the
book arrives we're off to sicily then greece and the balkans. i hear they
need a good dose of dr. jazz in the east!"

--Sheik