[Dixielandjazz] Jelly Roll Morton Song Question

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Mon Feb 9 13:49:02 PST 2004

Kurt,

I think it is the same melody as " Alabamy Bound"  or "Alabama Bound" which
Jelly sings on the library of Congress tapes.  I think he adapted it from an
old folk song.  "Alabama Bound" was a favourite skiffle song in 1950's
Britain.

"Alabamy Bound" is credited to Ray Henderson, Bud Green, B.G. DeSylva
(1924 ) but "Don't You leave Me Here" is credited to Jelly Roll but not
published as such, as far as I know.      I'm sure there are more expert
opinions out there!

Brian T

> Song question:
>
> I'm listening to "Don't You Leave Me Here" as played by The Dukes of
> Dixieland from their Salute to Jelly Roll Morton CD.  Since the song is on
> that CD, I assume Jelly Roll wrote it.
>
> The liner notes don't give any details about the song.  Does anyone on
DJML