[Dixielandjazz] Timing question

Bigbuttbnd at aol.com Bigbuttbnd at aol.com
Mon Feb 9 11:28:48 PST 2004

<<As far as I can determine, there's rarely a *practical* reason to use 2/2,
2/4, or the
cut-time symbol. >>

One practical reason for using 2/4 is when a 2/4 bar comes in the middle of a
4/4 song... denoting that a particular measure will go by twice as fast.
Another reason for using a "cut-time" symbol is to give the conductor a break. In
cut time the conductor only has to wave his arms for 2 beats in a measure
because the orchestra is thinking in "2" instead of 4. If the conductor stayed in
"4" at the rapid pace of must cut time songs he would wave his/her arms enough
to lift off from the bandstand...

<<Re "After you've gone", the standard practice when playing it fast is to
double the value of the notes.>>
Actually, we always refer to this as "double-time". Each measure goes by at
the same tempo but the rhythm section plays twice as many beats (notes) in
those measures... thereby changing the "feel" of the groove. The main pulse of
each measure, however, remains the same (you can tap your foot eactly the same
through the slow section and the fast section and each measure continues to
change at the same rate.)

~Hope this makes sense...
Rocky Ball
Atlanta