[Dixielandjazz] Marantz Tape Recorder

Michael Woitowicz banjobarons at nconnect.net
Sun Feb 8 10:12:00 PST 2004

Fellow DJML'rs,

I own a Marantz model PMD 221 portable cassette recorder which has a
function which allows one to change the playback to half speed, enabling you
to analyze musical phrases and licks. I have used it for about 10 or 15
years, but now the drive motor is malfunctioning. A local repair shop has
quoted me $180.00 to replace the motor.

Has anyone else had experience with repairing this type of recorder? It has
really been handy over the years, not only for recording and learning tunes,
but for playing tapes on gigs through my PA system when the band is taking a
break. However, the quoted cost of repair is probably more then the unit is
worth.

Please reply off list if you have any comments. Thanks.

Musical Content: "It Don't Mean A Thing, If the Recorder Won't Swing."

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
www.banjobarons.com

The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band