Subject: [Dixielandjazz] IAJE and OKOM

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Wed Feb 4 07:19:11 PST 2004

Kurt: I've got a great idea for jazz educators and the like. Why not talk
about OKOM WITHOUT making it always sound like a stepping stone to real jazz?
Even The Teaching Company (which is very good normally) has the "jazz" professor
from Peabody in Baltimore talking about early jazz as the foundation for, by
implication, "true jazz" starting with bebop, Stan Kenton, etc. He goes on to
talk about the microphone. When it was invented in 1924 it made it possible for
Bing Crosby to compete with Al Jolson (who called Bing a sissy because he
used one). Then, and this is what kills me, he adds: with the microphone we could
finally get rid of the banjo and tuba. Who told him "we" wanted to get rid of
anything? And why do I sound angry?

Dan (piano fingers) Spink