[Dixielandjazz] IAJE and OKOM

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Tue Feb 3 15:48:12 PST 2004

I just received my February Mississippi Rag in the mail.  If you don't
subscribe yet, what are you waiting for?  Go to www.mississippirag.com for
info.

Anyway, here is an interesting bit of information from Will Shapira's Jazz
in the Heartland column on page 16.

He writes that he e-mailed the International Association of Jazz Educators
(IAJE) asking them why traditional jazz and ragtime received such little
attention from them.

He received this reply from IAJE executive director Bill McFarlin: "We would
very much like to program more traditional jazz and ragtime.  It has been a
topic of discussion by our board of directors and we are committed to doing
so.  The problem has been that we don't receive proposals from the
traditional jazz community (or very few)."

McFarlin invites "musicians, educators or musicologists to consider
submitting a proposal for the 2005 IAJE conference Jan. 5-9 in Long Beach,
CA.".  He urges those interested to check www.iaje.org/ac_select.asp for
complete information on how to submit a proposal.

The opportunities are out there if we look for them.

Kurt