[Dixielandjazz] Teaching Competency in Jazz

Williams, Bob robert.c.williams at eds.com
Tue Feb 3 13:37:33 PST 2004

This is good stuff.  I've received many good comments on this subject.

I've found, too, that fundamentals are important.  When I'm teaching, I like
to have my students do the basic method books (Arban's, Rochut, Kopprasch,
etc.) and try to get them fired up about scales.  I try to stress that
without developing some facility on your instrument, you're not going to be
able to make the transition from what you're hearing in your noggin to the
piece of expensive plumbing hanging from your lips.

I like to use the movie "The Karate Kid" as a metaphor.  If you recall, when
the kid was starting his karate tutelage, Patrick Morita had him spent a day
painting a fence, another day waxing a car, stuff like that.  When the kid
finally complained, Morita showed him that he had, in fact, learned some
basic karate moves, and they had become reflexes.

By practicing scales and basic rudiments, the instrument becomes something
you can use reflexively - you can focus less on the mechanics and more on
what you're trying to put out there.  I read somewhere that Chick Corea was
a big proponent of practicing legit stuff - that it helped his jazz - for
this very reason.

But he also dedicates all his recordings to L. Ron Hubbard, so he could be
full of crap.

- Bob