[Dixielandjazz] Good music vs. bad (was Charlie Parker)

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 2 10:24:09 PST 2004

Fred Spencer wrote
>>Does anyone know the origin of this quote? If so, please tell us.

I had always heard that it was Arnold Schoenberg, the egghead who developed
the 12-tone “serialism” technique for composing music; but it turns out to
have been Kurt Weill.  "I have never acknowledged the difference between
'serious' music and 'light' music," Weill once said. "There is only good
music and bad music."

cf http://www.csed.demon.co.uk/cjs/weill.htm

Ed Danielson