[Dixielandjazz] Dead Musician's Society

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Mon Feb 2 09:58:11 PST 2004

I have a copy of Steve's Barbone Street CD "Live at the West Chester
University Jazz Festival" and find it easy to listen too and a good example
of swinging four-beat jazz.  Lots of original ideas spread throughout the 13
selections ranging from "Margie" and "I've got the World on a String" to
"You're Nobody's Sweetheart Now" and "Mood Indigo'.

The fact that it was recorded during a live performance under some hectic
circumstances explained in the liner notes, is testament to Steve's ability
to organize and produce an excellent CD that is as creative as it is
enjoyable.

It may not be Louis' Hot 7, but it is what Steve planned to present - hot
jazz featuring excellent musicians playing a wide variety of well-thought
out arrangements.

The chick singer ain't too bad either!

Kurt