[Dixielandjazz] Instrument Carry On

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Sun Feb 1 17:54:25 PST 2004

 Dave Hanson sayith:

> Several months ago there was a discussion about taking your instrument on
board airline flights. The AFM has negotiated a "carry-on" policy with the
Transportation Security Commission, so if you missed it the first time
around, send me an email and I'll forward it to you for print out.

> Not all of the "well trained" screeners know about this agreement.

I have a copy of the regulations, have not tried to use it yet.  Has anyone
done so?

Dave, is there a limit as to size?  How about a wooden bass?

Also, what about flights overseas?  And, I suppose it would not have any
affect on foreign airlines, say from country to country in Europe.

In March, The Boondockers will be doing 5 concerts in Hungary.  I wonder how
the instruments would be treated from Germany to Budapest?

And, here is another thing to worry about.  I have a traveling banjo case
which can withstand baggage handlers.  In the past, I have locked my banjo
case.  Now, with the authorities not allowing suitcases to be locked, what
would keep a loose-fingered baggage handler (somewhere behind the scenes)
from lifting the banjo, leaving the case?  The case is quite heavy so if the
banjo was gone from it, who would notice?

Interested parties want to know.

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA  USA