[Dixielandjazz] Artie Shawc - OBIT - Washington Post

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 31 11:09:49 PST 2004

Al Singer wrote saying:

>        If ,as you say Shaw "was a jerk" (which he was NOT),then  Benny
>""the
>ray " Goodman was too(which he was NOT),

True. Neither Benny nor Artie were 'jerks' - I simply pointed out that in
the case of Shaw trying to make Goodman look like a pedantic clarinet player
instead of a musician probing the depths of his art then he (Shaw) was being
a jerk. You don't have to be a jerk all the time to act like one from time
to time.

Furthermore, I still think both were great artists and I love 'em both, (but
I already said that in my earlier post.

Of course, there are those on the DJML who never act like jerks ever as
opposed to the rest of us who are perfectly capable of being jerks from time
to time.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com