[Dixielandjazz] OKOM Broadcasts

Charlie Hull charlie at easysounds.com
Fri Dec 24 07:50:31 PST 2004

Not exactly radio, except that there's no video component, but DishNetwork
satellite TV has audio only channels.  One channel is called "New Orleans"
and plays a mix of trad jazz, cajun, and NO blues (Dr. John, Blind Boone,
etc.).

Around two out of three selections are OKOM jazz; Armstrong, Beiderbecke,
Red Allen, Turk Murphy, Don Ewell,Bob Scobey, etc. and an occasional ragtime
tune.  Dishnet also has the Sirius channels, but I haven't found any with
OKOM.  Even the big band swing channel isn't the good stuff, for the most
part.  The contemporary jazz stuff is insipid G-ish pap.

We used to have a jazz station here in Sacramento, KXJZ Public Radio.  They
played a good mix of old and new jazz all day and evening, and Sunday night
featured older music with knowledgeable commentary about the selections and
players.

Without survey or warning they dropped the daytime jazz and the Sunday
evening show, went to talk show, mostly BBC, in the daytime and more modern
jazz in the evenings and weekends.  I guess not enough of us contacted them
when they were running OKOM to tell them we liked it.  Many of us complained
after the change, even withdrawing our financial support, but to no avail.

If you have any local broadcasts you like, be sure to let the stations know.
Often.

Charlie Hull