[Dixielandjazz] Re: Audience etiquette

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 20 10:30:20 PST 2004

Charles Suhor at csuhor at zebra.net wrote: (polite snip

> Bottom line, I think we can celebrate truly responsive audiences, from
> the noisy ones at social events to the quiet ones in concert halls;
> tolerate, up to a point, audiences that talk a bit too loud in "mixed"
> social/concert settings like restaurants and certain jazz clubs; and
> appreciate the fact that there's an ongoing serious conversation about
> jazz among musicians, critics, musicologists, researchers, and others.
> Sometimes the talk gets pretentious and wrongheaded, but if we kick off
> our shoes, that be part of the fun.

Yep, that be THE bottom line.  Room for all.

Regarding "making a statement" those in the forefront of "modern" jazz would
say most OKOMers are merely repeating musical statements and/or musical
problems that were solved in their entirety decades ago. :-) VBG.

Their view of "making a statement" is their exploration of new musical
pathways for better or for worse.

I am not agreeing with the above two paragraphs so, list mates, please don't
shoot the messenger. ;-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone