[Dixielandjazz] Audience etiquette

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Dec 19 15:20:41 PST 2004

In a message dated 12/19/04 2:59:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
arnieday at optonline.net writes:

> That all makes perfect sense to me, Charles. I would add that those who go
> to restaurants to talk loudly, laugh, sing "Happy Birthday" etc, should choose
> a restaurant that doesn't feature jazz that evening. I have been to Shanghai
> Jazz in NJ many times when the likes of Kenny Davern, Mark Shane, John Bunch
> and even Marian McPartland (earlier this year) were drowned out by noisy
> diners.
> Arnie

That is indeed a RUDE situation that should be discouraged by the Proprietor,
even at the expenses of losing a few disconcerted customers, if he allows
that kind of behavior to get out of hand very often he will lose all the other
customers who actually come there and spend money to see and hear the high
caliber Jazz music that he presents.

He needs to educate his public as to the proper conduct expected when he has
that kind of entertainment booked.  Printing such a discreet notice on his
menu would be in good taste
and do a great service to his patrons and musicians alike to make the
establishment a much classier place to go, eat and have a good time.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins