[Dixielandjazz] Christmas cheer

dingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Dec 18 07:04:35 PST 2004

John Farrell wrote:

>I have just crawled out of the wreckage of a hard drive crash to wish
>everybody on the list a very merry Christmas. Here's a link demonstrating
>how we celebrate Christmas here in the UK
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/4081415.stm
>
>John Farrell

Don Ingle replied with:
I would have to note that the Scots may have the best idea of how to
celebrate this holiday season.
The word is Hogmanay -- and about 400,000 are expected to take part in
Glasgow alone.
My Scots ancestors took part in such and it explains why I brighten up
on hearing such phrases as "come in and have a drink," "The Bar's open,"
"hurry and order - it's Last Call," and "Let's party!"
This tradition is much like Trick or Treating for grown ups. A good
Scots-born friend of mine, knowing of my own Scots roots, used to call
me up every year to wish me a Happy Hogmanay. Having had this tradition
passed down in my family, I understood what was meant and thanked him
for the good thought. Open the Cardhu and let's get at it!
So, Scots or not, let me in turn pass on the same invitation to you and
all lurkers to indeed have a Happy Hogmany.
Don Ingle