[Dixielandjazz] No New Year's Eve gigs

James Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Dec 18 03:12:30 PST 2004

We have not played a New Year's Eve gig in years, and are quite pleased not
to!

In Spain, it is traditional to eat dinner (starting at 10:30 pm) at home,
then eat your twelve grapes with the 12 tones of the midnight bell....then,
go out to the parties.  So, a New Year's Eve gig starts around 1:30 am, and
goes on until between 5am & 7am.

See why we prefer not to do them?  :>

Plus, drinking starts with cocktails early in the afternoon, lots of wine
with the meal, champagne (Catalan cava) with the grapes, and proper booze
the rest of the evening/morning, followed by "chocolate y churros" before
closing down the parties.
If people aren't barfing all over the place before the chocolate, it's bound
to happen when they dunk the greasy churros (like stick donuts) into the
gooey chocolate (it's not for drinking, but for dunking!).

Nope!  Prefer to be at home.  By the way, no one but no one (except me!)
goes to bed before the sun comes up on the 1st.  That includes the tiniest
of children who also party all night at private homes, and even at
restaurants & bars.  Spain is different, used to go the (rather true)
slogan.

Jim