[Dixielandjazz] New Year's Eve gigs

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Thu Dec 16 21:30:08 PST 2004

Dave - I've done well the past few years but there are a lot of guys here
that are happy as bugs doing an earlier gig and I know at least one band
that's having their own NYEve party so that's common.  A lot of these guys
just don't want to hustle for gigs and I've got to admit that it isn't the
most fun.  There are a lot of them that want to spend the evening with
friends and family.  For me all my friends are musicians and my family is
very very small and they know that that's a night I work just as if I were a
plumber and it was a Monday morning.  For me it's a night out with my
friends doing what I like to do and getting paid for it.

If you don't really need the money then it boils down to professional pride.
It's the I'm good enough to get paid syndrome.  I admit I've got it and when
I make a lot of bucks it validates me as a musician.  It makes me feel good
when I make more money than guys that play better but to do that, I have to
work at it.

You have to make up your mind as to what makes you happy.

The group I'm playing with screams for 4 hours a lot like a top 40 band and
we stand up so I end up tired with sore feet and my back aches.  Not as much
fun as with a Jazz trio somewhere in a lounge or with my own gig.

Honestly a lot of guys really wouldn't like playing the stuff I will be
doing but a gig is a gig and it pays fairly well.

The usual big bands around here aren't working as far as I know.  I know if
they were working I would have gotten a bunch of calls in the last few weeks
but so far its Nada.