[Dixielandjazz] How Stupid Can We Be.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 13 17:30:50 PST 2004

Beth and List Mates:

Beth, your festival is not doing what I ranted about. Therefore your
festival cannot be described as greedy. I did not classify Festival
promoters as greedy, I classified Festival Promoters who charge an
outrageous fee to sell CDs as greedy.

Or, as Johnny Cochran said; (more or less) "If the glove does not fit, then
you must acquit." :-) VBG.

Dying festivals, audience decline and going out of business, relates right
back to the Juilliard article. Plain and Simple: THERE ARE TOO MANY
FESTIVALS. AND TOO MANY MUSICIANS TRYING TO PLAY AT FESTIVALS.

But please don't shoot the messenger. REINVENT YOURSELVES, bands and
festivals both.

By now, my mantra on that should be pretty well known.

Basically I admire what folks involved with any endeavor do, and how
dedicated they are. However, if the endeavor is NO LONGER VIABLE IN ITS
PRESENT FORM, then no matter how well you do it, or no matter how much
effort you expend, it will not succeed and those involved will drive
themselves crazy trying.

Festival survival revolves around getting a NEW AUDIENCE for the festivals,
or going out of business. It is that simple. AUDIENCE is Job number 1.

Band survival is exactly the same. Get a NEW AUDIENCE for your music or go
out of business. AUDIENCE is Job number 1.

No matter how much a festival charges per CD sold, it will never be enough
to make the OKOM band and/or festival business viable. Or even play a
significant role in the process. Same goes for musicians. as audience,
attending festivals. No matter how many go (even if they could afford to) it
will never be enough to make a difference.

A NEW AUDIENCE is why my band works 160 gigs a year. All OKOM, all within 80
miles of home and why I am able to say exactly what I think, without fear of
what an OKOM festival director might think. (and do to retaliate) Bands
don't need festivals to survive and prosper). Festivals do need bands to
survive. But both of us need A NEW AUDIEWNCE.

REINVENT YOURSELVES.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"Beth V" <bethv at portafortuna.com> wrote