[Dixielandjazz] Sales tax on graphics - goods vs. services

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Mon Dec 13 11:42:30 PST 2004

Hello, good people,

Several DJMLers have questioned why I charge sales tax for newsletter art
(How Come You Tax Me Like You Do, Do, Do?), so I will answer on-list. :

Unfortunately, it's the law: graphic designers must charge for sales tax if
there is a product or goods handed over, like the PDF files of the artwork I
submit to the printer.

The only time I don't have to charge tax is if I am providing a service
only, like calligraphy on certificates/nametags/place cards that have been
provided by the client.

"I Can't Give You Anything But... Services"
(Wipe those filthy thoughts from your mind right this minute!)