[Dixielandjazz] Requests not to play

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sat Dec 11 13:05:54 PST 2004

I loved this line: Generally the audience loves your pet hate,

For years in St. Louis there were many tunes verboten on "society" gigs.
They were virtually anything Black or sounded like Black music which of
course included all the 50's and 60's rock tunes.  Remember this was the
city where DJ's publicly broke rock and roll records.  Most of those tunes
sound sort of quaint today and incredibly immature compared to some of
today's music but at the time you just didn't do it if you wanted to keep on
gigging.  There was an approved tune list that some of the bookers put out
also.  I play more music of the 50's and 60's today than I ever did in those
years.  These were the years that I was getting started and naturally I
wanted to play the music that I heard on the radio but I had to make a
living and you do what you have to do.

I suspect that many successful groups break up because of the demand to play
their hits over and over.  It's like a world class chef who is only able to
fry eggs.  I don't know if it's better to be a one hit wonder or very
successful because you know the public will identify with your hits.
Musicians can get trapped by their success.  Not all continue doing new
things that are accepted by the public like Louis Armstrong till they die.

Larry Walton