[Dixielandjazz] Re: Proper Records - Spike Jones

dingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Dec 12 06:36:21 PST 2004

David W. Littlefield wrote:

>At 12:01 AM 12/12/2004 -0800, Stan Brager wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the information and correction, Bill. I'm surprised that there
>>isn't much of Spike Jones music available.
>>

>I count 13 Spike Jones CDs in my collection. As I recall, the AVIDS are RCA
>commercial records, the Collectors Music 3-bie is transcriptions, etc.
>
>Bill Haesler wrote
>

>>>due to copyright complications, I do not think
>>>that they are available in the US.
>>>

>Not to worry--just order 'em from Jerry.
>
>--Sheik

Overlooked are the British-made Harlequin LPs' and later CD's of Spike
Jones, mostly from AFR and other transcriptions, with many numbers never
recorded commerically. A friend, John Wood of England, had a hand in the
compilation and has sent me several of these and the quality is quite
good...better than the old Commanf Performance scratcht acetate
16-inchers that dad managed to hang onto. John was also patienct with
this Yank...explaining that Hants meant Hampsire inthe postal
address. Who would have known?
Over here we ask for a wake up call...so it was also surprising that if
that's what we wanted we needed to ask to be "knocked up" at 7.  What a
country!!
Don Ingle