[Dixielandjazz] Hey big tippers

LRG4003 at aol.com LRG4003 at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 14:25:29 PST 2004

A lurker here, chiming in to share a tip story.  In the early 70's I  played
with a dixieland band in college in the midwest, 4 nights a week.   Sunday
always the slowest, except for one thing.  A local steak house that  was popular
with students happened to be owned by a Greek family and when they  closed
their place Sunday evening they'd show up in our pizza joint  requesting that we
play "Zorba the Greek".

Well, we didn't exactly know "Zorba" but we substituted a rousing
Klezmer-like version of "Havah Nagilah".  They would start doing a kind of  combination
line-dance-dervish around the room and tossing out $1 bills---tip  money from
their day at the steak house.  As long as we could stand playing  they would
keep dancing and tossing $1 bills.  We played "Havah" for close  to a half hour
one night and picked up about $150.  If we'd had the  chops we could have
played enough for retirement.

K.C. Clarinet