[Dixielandjazz] Re: Expain what mixing does

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Thu Dec 9 07:20:42 PST 2004

> John,

I've never quite understood the concept of "mixing".

If I set up the band with one mic, there can be no mixing. Right?

If  I set up the band with one mic per instruments, the music can be mixed,
right?

Does mixing change the sound of the musical product?  Instead of sounding
like my band, it can sound like something else?

By mixing the engineer can reduce the sound of certain instruments and
increase the sound of others?  Thus the art of the band is lost?

Is the purpose of the mixing to create a part electronic product and part
artist?

Russ, I'm confused, Guarino