[Dixielandjazz] Recordings one loves

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 8 11:54:04 PST 2004

Hi all,

Whether or not we've listed our favorites before (and I'm sure we have),
it's a more interesting topic than the ones we hate.  I see that Charlie has
chosen from many different jazz styles as well!  Some of my all-time
personal favorites that make life worth living are:

Stuff Smith :  Upstairs, Twilight in Turkey
John Kirby:  Rehearsin' for a Nervous Breakdown, From A Flat to C
Bix with Paul Whiteman:  Changes, Lonely Melody
Earl Hines: That's a Plenty
Duke Ellington:  The Mooche, Just a Sittin' and a Rockin'
Satchmo:  St. Louis Blues from the W.C. Handy album
Cab Calloway:  Some of These Days
Luis Russell: Old Man River
Dexter Gordon (with Tete Montoliu, NHOP and Billy Higgins):  Billie's Bounce
Miles Davis: Orbits
Woody Herman:  Freedom Jazz Dance

All the best,
Rob McCallum