[Dixielandjazz] Info Please, HOt 5 & Hot 7 Recordings

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Tue Dec 7 13:23:02 PST 2004

Bob;

For sonic quality, the nod, but not by much, goes to the JSP box set. The
Sony set does include a couple of alternate takes which are not on the JSP
set. Sony has 2 different sets. The first one has terrible sonic qualities
and is simply called the "Hot Fives and Hot Sevens" and is available in
individual CDs and not as a box set per se. The newer Sony set is called
"The Complete Hot Fives and Hot Sevens" and it's very well produced.

My advice is to go with the JSP set for sound quality and price - much
cheaper. Unless one is an avid collector in which case you might want to
spring for the Sony because of the few extra alternates.

Stan