[Dixielandjazz] Jazz - The Spiritual Side vs. Technique

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Tue Dec 7 10:47:42 PST 2004

This is what I've been saying all along about jazz soloing.  These guys
"learn" this from colleges and schools that are teaching it all wrong.
Solos just cant be built on vertical chord structure but must be built on
improvised melodic line that sets on the chord structure.  Vertical is easy
to teach and you can write textbooks about it and you can send a student out
to practice on it and you can get really fast.  The problem is that it
creates solos that have no heart, no beginning , no middle and really don't
end.  Just a lot of notes.  They tend to be all correct notes and usually
done very fast and everyone goes WOW but to quote myself.  If you went to a
race and there was a guy running really fast, looked really good and was the
favorite except he was running in the wrong direction you would have a LOSER
no matter what he did.  These guys haven't a clue nor will they ever.  The
only way to learn this technique (good soloing) is to learn tunes, listen to
others and to yourself, develop a reasonable technique and good tone and
then do it a bunch.  These things don't happen overnight.  It takes a lot of
experimentation and experience to do this.  You can't learn the interaction
of two or more people who are playing in effect solos against each other in
a polyphonic manner without developing the sense of harmony and line that
experience allows.  Not only that, do it in a split second, on the fly and
be different every time.

Some like to think of this as "contemporary" soloing much in the same way as
modern art is contemporary.  The further out it goes the more some like it.
I think a lot of those people who go WOW at this are musically ignorant and
want to appear cool or are impressed by the musical gymnastics that some of
these guys exhibit.

Sadly very few young musicians (below 40) are learning anything else.  I
hear so much musical nonsense coming out of these guys no wonder so many of
them get lost in the middle of solos and lose the key and don't know where
to end or how to pass a solo off to another guy.  Often they have their nose
buried in the chord symbols and are reading the music like I would read the
dictionary.  BORING!

That brings up another thing in that piano players are not learning how to
support a horn player and lead the chords so the horn player has a guide to
where he is going.  If I have a good piano player I can solo easily to tunes
that I have never heard in my life but a guy that's just chunking the chords
sometimes even if I know the tune it's a  chore and things don't flow as
well.

My advise to those who want to learn how to solo well is get with a group
and do it, listen carefully and critically to yourself,  Don't try to match
or compete with the gymnasts but do your own thing and finally get control
over your instrument.  Also, I advise strongly taping yourself and listening
to it at least 10 or more times.  If you still like it after 10 times it's
probably OK.

If you want to learn a style immerse yourself in it.  Listen to nothing else
until you have an understanding of how it works.  This by the way is why
older styles are difficult for younger people because they don't listen to
it, it's not a part of them.  You have to make that style a part of yourself
if you are going to play the style correctly.  If you are going to learn
Chinese you have to think in Chinese or you will be forever translating
probably badly.